Saturday, March 30, 2013

Vital Change in Character (Growing Up)

Growth is inevitable. We all have to agree on that. Growing up also takes place at different pace and also at different times. A 12 year old can be as mature as 19 year old and a man aged 50 can still have the mentality of a 23 year old.

To parents, their children growing up is probably one of the hardest things they will face. It becomes tougher when the parents are not in touch with their children. However, a point comes when they have to accept the fact of growing up and when they finally accept it, they themselves have grown up. Growing up is characterized by a drastic change in the ones growing up. Most of the times, it's the attitude, which changes.
Change in attitude can be towards something or towards anyone.

When I was in class 9, my best friend, Ransley stopped talking with me and completely ignored me in school. The reason was that I changed and became a person who was very rude and arrogant to people who teased me. Till grade 8, I just used to accept all the taunts and torments thrown at me but then I thought it was enough and decided to change. Although Ransley never abused me in anyway, he did teased me, but now when I look back, those didn't matter. However, I was very rude at him. After weeks of not talking and ignoring, whenever he tried to talk to me I blew him away, and then he never looked at me in the eye whenever he was near to me. But he did looked at me from a distance and I did too. I was naive back then and a bit stupid too that I didn't realize that I disappointing him and I did hurt him. He hurt me as well, but we never showed each other as well. We were no longer best friends we used to be and became strangers.

That was the time when I became good friends with Madan B. and Parkin John B. Madan suddenly became best friends with me, it was almost like a friendship that I had with Ransley. On the other hand, Ransley made new friends (better than me). Towards the end of the year I realized the actual worth of Ransley and it was hard for me to accept that I missed him. Madan started to control me in ways I didn't realize then. As our friendship grew stronger, I told Madan how me and Ransley used to be really good friends. The moment I mentioned his name, he started hating him and began to be angry at me and kept saying to me "Your choice of friends is really poor and bad". I turned a deaf ear to that and then I'm wondered how could he say that when in fact I chose him to be my friend!

As my friendship with Madan started weakening and went to the extent of him abusing me over text just before my final Chemistry exam for that year. He abused me and practically my entire family. And when I shared this with my friends the next day, Ransley was present. He didn't react and something told me that he was happy. He started to talk to me again, it was like we were beginning to become friends all over again!

That year ended like that. But somehow I was happy. I realized that I was pretending all that year just to be with Madan and his friends. I was being someone else who wasn't me. I hated myself. I looked into how I treated Ransley and some others and felt terribly bad. I felt so bad that I cried. I promised myself I will not be that person again. I loved and liked myself when I was not loud, when I was submissive and tolerant. I wanted to be that way again.

This post has become too long, I'll tell you what happened next in my following post.

Till then, Bye.

Love Always,
Bernard.

No comments:

Post a Comment