Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Holi - A Festival Of Colors!

So today was holi. Holi is the festival of colors celebrated all across India and even in some parts of the world. I don't know why exactly people celebrate this festival but I kind of made my own personal philosophy to support this idea of festival. This festival is like a metaphor to bring color to one's life. In other words, this festival might prove like a break from the daily monotonous life. Again, this is only my interpretation.

It is actually quiet fun. Playing with colors and throwing colored water filled balloons at random passerby and then hiding quickly, ambushing relatives and friends with a handful of color material and things like that. This festival is also marked by a drink, it's called "Bhang" in local language here, which apparently makes one drunk and go nuts because it's actually made of condensed milk and cashew nuts (that's what I know about that drink). I never really had that drink but I want to at least once. 

Most of my friends played holi today and I saw their pictures in facebook. They all looked like ghastly figures in those pictures but looked really happy and that's what all matters. I didn't play holi because like every year it fell during lent. And my mom told me that it's not the right time to play. It bothered me when I was kid but soon I never objected that and was okay with that. The last time I remember playing holi was when I was in grade 3. I remember me and my siblings and all the neighborhood kids joined us in my garage, and we played like crazy. We were so soaked in colors that my mom didn't let us eneter the house until we cleaned ourselves in our pond.  So that was that.

Thinking about those days make me seem like an old person and make me realize that I'm grown up now. But I might play again if and only if it doesn't coincide with the season of lent.

Here's a picture incase you're having a little trouble what holi exactly is -


Till then, I wish you all Happy Holi!

Love Always,
Bernard.

No comments:

Post a Comment